- More than 295,000 people die of sudden cardiac death in the US annually.
- Sudden cardiac death is the most common presentation of an acute heart attack.
- A heart attack results from a sudden and complete occlusion of one of the arteries that supply blood to the heart tissue.
- In sudden cardiac death, early recognition and ACTION is critical in order to save the person’s life.
- Prompt initiation of CPR and Basic Life Support (BLS) is imperative.
- For every minute CPR is not started, there is a 7-10% rise in death.
- More important, after 4 minutes without CPR the brain suffers irreversible injury.
Learn CPR and BLS: It may save your loved ones life!
Reference: ACC/AHA Guidelines for Sudden Cardiac Death and CPR.